Monday, October 28, 2013

Older Beginner Reader

 

Finding the right books for an older beginner reader can be challenging. You want to provide them with choices that are not to juvenile but yet simple enough for them to read. After many visits to our local library I finally found the perfect ready to read series for my son. The series is called "Henry and Mudge". What I like about this series is it offers complex stories with varied sentence structure with the bonus of pictures. I was also able to find book discussion questions to go along with each book.

 

If you have a struggling or late reader don't be discouraged. Remember every child is different. Our journey to read has been tough at times. But seeing my child finally identifying words makes it all worth it.

 

 

2 comments:

  1. Oh, we have some Henry and Mudge lovers over here too. They also like Mr. Putter and Tabby. And its one about some sort of reptile. I like how they ease them into chapter book format with the 3 stories in one book sometimes.

    ReplyDelete