Monday, November 9, 2015

Sickle Cell Disease




Continuing our study of cells today we covered Sickle Cell Disease. I remember seventeen years ago I received an official looking letter in the mail from our local health department. The letter informed me that our oldest had sickle cell trait, being a new mother I was upset to get such news. My husband informed me also that he had trait at that time. Thanking God I did not have the trait. Thinking back if only I had knew to ask that question when we first started dating. Not that it would have made a big impact with my decision to date him but I think that is something that should have been discussed. Three children later they all carry the trait.

We have discussed this topic in the pass with our boys but I think our oldest is the only one who truly understood what it meant. So today we researched it again deeper because I knew they all are old enough to understand. We started out looking at the disease and after I asked the big question. What does this topic have to do with us? My younger two were clueless. Then I dropped the bomb and the room went silent and eyes popped out their head. I said all three of you have sickle cell trait. WHAT!!! is all I heard them say then we have it.... 

Now this topic had their undivided attention everyone was paying attention. HOW!!! WHAT DOES THAT MEAN? So now when I meet a girl I have to ask her this question? Jaedan suggested when they meet a potential wife that they act like they are watching a video about Sickle Cell and ask if she has seen it. That way they can ease into asking questions. Gotta love that kid.

Let's just say a 45 minute science class turned into a whole day of learning about Sickle Cell and Sickle Cell Trait. This is why I love homeschooling.

Links to some of the material we covered.


post signature

1 comment: